Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tres Leches - Remake

I used to hate Tres Leches cakes. I'm not a fan of milk and these cakes were a little too milky for my taste. I've come a long way...still don't drink milk but, have learned to tolerate it in my deserts and have even learned to love a good Tres Leches.
I posted a recipe for one of these cakes a few weeks ago that I found on the Pioneer Woman's blog. You usually can't go wrong with anything she makes (or does for that matter) and while it was good, it was a little heavier than I like.
My friend Suzanne told me that she had a much better Tres Leches recipe and her daughter posted it on her blog so, I stole it and tried it. They were right...much better. Lighter and fluffier! So, I'm doing away with my previous attempt at Tres Leches and sticking to this one. Thanks girls!

Tres Leches Cake

1 box white cake mix
3 large eggs
1 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 cup milk
Cool whip
Strawberries for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, eggs, water, oil and vanilla until smooth. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove cake from oven and let cool 10 minutes.Meanwhile, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and regular milk til well blended. Poke cake all over with a skewer and pour milk mixture all over cake, pressing lightly to make sure milk is completely absorbed. It may seem really full, but it will all get absorbed.Frost cake with cool whip and place sliced strawberries on top. Keep refrigerated. Enjoy!!
Recipe and picture are from Lick the Bowl Good.

1 comment: