Friday, September 3, 2010

Ramona's Green Sauce

My friend Ramona spent two days teaching me how to make tamales. I still have no idea how to make a tamale. Not because I'm stupid necessarily but, Ramona has been making tamales her entire life and I'm pretty sure she has never used a measuring cup or spoon, ever. She can even cup her hand and tell me exactly how much salt is in the cup of her hand. That's great for Ramona, and a talent I envy but, I need measurements!
So, of all tamale learning I did during that two days, the only thing I can remember and attempt to repeat, is the green sauce. No measurements but, I swear, you don't really need them. We made two trays here because we were making a lot of tamales but, one tray would probably be more than enough.

Place tomatillas, onions, garlic, jalapeno, banana peppers and serano peppers on a cookie sheet. You can look at the amount that we put on the tray, keep in mind how spicy you want your sauce. Drizzle with olive oil.

Bake in the oven at 350 or 375. Turning the vegetables over once they start browning and bubbling. Cook again. It really is beautiful!

Place all in blender and blend! Use on anything you can dream up. I've served with tamales, fajitas and even as salsa.



No comments:

Post a Comment