I got this recipe from my friend Sarah. She tutors my son, Ford and it used to kill me when I'd walk into her house and smell this baking. I finally got up the nerve to make it, always assuming it would be too much work. It's not! Brock spent the entire time I was baking this proclaiming profusely that he was allergic to pies. Once he tried it, he said "I like this Sam I Am! I want pie every night." The good news is, it makes enough for two pies. Great for those nights when you have to cook for someone else also. I froze my extras this time, we'll see how that works.
I've gotten a couple of recipes from Sarah that are my all time favorites....one of them a bacon wrapped meatball that I'll have to make soon because, just thinking about it has my mouth watering!
Sarah took a combination of several recipes to come up with this version so, the directions are not exactly step by step. Basically, cut up your vegetables and cook until tender (or use frozen like I did this time).
Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie3 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
1 cup sliced cooked carrots (I actually substituted corn this time)
1 cup cubed, cooked potatoes
1 cup frozen green peas
1 medium onion, diced and cooked
6 TBS. butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
2 TBS. chicken bouillon granules (Sarah uses chicken base because she likes it better, I've done it both ways)
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 cups milk
2 pie shells (I use Pillsburys pie crust, I think they are the best...even better than my mom's. Sorry mom!)
In a large sauce pan, melt butter and stir in flour, salt(I realize salt is not in the above ingredients, I just threw some in) bouillon, and pepper. Over medium heat, gradually add milk. Cook and stir with a wire whisk until mixture thickens and bouillon has dissolved. Combine vegetables, chicken, and sauce. Pour into prepared pie shell. Cover with remaining pie shell. Be sure to cut vents in top pie shell. Bake 40 minutes until golden.
No comments:
Post a Comment