Friday, May 15, 2009

Frech Toast

Fortunately for me, there are times that my brain tells me to do things even though it doesn't always remind me why. I got up this morning and made this breakfast, wondering why York had slept in and was not out the door at his usual 6:00 in the morning. After he got ready he came out and ate a very rare in our household, home made breakfast. After he'd eaten it, he said "thanks and Happy Anniversary. I was just going to grab cinnamon rolls for you or something". Oh yea! Happy Anniversary to you too! I'd completely forgotten. This may become our traditional anniversary breakfast from now on! Atleast, when I remember.
I got both of these recipes from The Sister's Cafe. I've made the syrup before with whole wheat pancakes. I've never been a huge fan of french toast but, these turned out good. I doubt they are really an IHOP recipe because, they didn't seem that unhealthy. The only thing I'd do different next time is to double the recipe. The coconut syrup, well, let's just say I could drink that as a glass of juice.

IHOP French Toast
submitted by Erin

2 eggs
½ c. milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 T. flour
6 slices of thick sliced French bread

First beat eggs, then add remaining ingredients with electric mixer. Dip both sides of bread and place in hot buttered pan. Flip over when browned. Serve with Coconut Syrup. I also added fresh berries and powdered sugar. My kids are really in to black berries right now.

Coconut Syrup

7-8 T. butter
¾ c. buttermilk
1 c. sugar
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp coconut extract

Place butter, buttermilk and sugar in a pot. Then turn stove on medium and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and boil one minute. Remove from heat and add soda and flavoring. It will bubble up; just continue to stir and give it a few minutes for the 'fizz' to reduce before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment