This is one of my children's favorite meals. I had this at a party that York and I went to years ago, before the children even came to be. I've been making it for years and I'm sure it is a pretty well known recipe. I made this for Darby's 14th birthday Luau party.
Hawaiian Haystacks
1 Chicken
4 Tbs. margarine
6 Tbs. flour
1 1/2 c. milk
salt & pepper
rice
Boil chicken until it's falling off bones. Debone (I just use chicken breasts, deboning chicken is gross). Save 1 1/2 cup chicken broth, set aside.
In separate pot, melt margarine. Using wire whisk, whisk in flour until flour and margarine make a paste. Whisk in milk slowly, then whisk in broth. Add salt and pepper to taste. When gravy gets a little thick tear chicken into small pieces and add to gravy.
Serve over rice and top with toppings: crushed pineapple, chow mein noodles, grated cheese, coconut, diced celery, green onions and chives.
I have all of the toppings in separate dishes and people can pick and choose which toppings they want.

No comments:
Post a Comment