I've been dying to try this salad. I saw it on "The Girl That Ate Everything" and it looked so yummy. Her picture was much more appealing than mine. We sent the boys out of town on a golf trip so, I finally had an excuse to feed the girls and give it a try. I have a funny friend that eats salads but, not lettuce. She's given me quite the laugh to see her ordering a taco salad at a mexican restaurant and trying to explain to them to leave out the lettuce. Well, Alyssa girl even ate the lettuce on this salad! I wasn't a huge fan of the cheese and thought that maybe next time I'd try feta but, as I continued eating it, I grew accustomed. Maybe I'll learn to like it.
1 head leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
3 pears - peeled, cored and chopped (I only used 2 and it was more than enough)
5 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled (I used Gorgonzola because I couldn't find Roquefort)
1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (I left these out, not a fan)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup pecans ( I did a little more because they are so good and add so much to the salad )
Dressing:
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard ( I used Dijon )
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste
In a skillet over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup of sugar together with the pecans. *Melt the sugar first and then add the nuts so that the sugar doesn't get stuck and clumpy in the grooves of the nuts. (I also added a little butter to the sugar. I wasn't sure how to melt sugar without butter??) Continue stirring gently until sugar has melted and caramelized the pecans. Carefully transfer nuts onto waxed paper. Allow to cool, and break into pieces.
For the dressing: blend oil, vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, mustard, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper. In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce, pears, blue cheese, avocado, and green onions. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.

No comments:
Post a Comment